At 25, Gianluigi Donnarumma failed to shine at Euro 2024 as he had done three years previously (Italy lost in the round of 16 against Switzerland). But the Italian goalkeeper is still coming off a rather satisfactory 2023/2024 season. However, even before starting the European Championship, “Gigio” saw the ghosts of 2021 resurface with the announcement of the imminent arrival of Russian Matvey Safonov.
A goalkeeper recruited for €20 million and who quickly made it known that he did not intend to play the silent understudy.Nobody ever told me I was number two. I came to Paris to fight. I want to play football. Even if they had told me I was number two, I wouldn’t have listened to them. It’s up to me to give the best of myself. I don’t see myself as a number two. I don’t want to be a substitute. If they put me as number two, it won’t be easy for number one…“, declared the Russian on June 25.
Donnarumma respects PSG
Three years after having a difficult cohabitation with Keylor Navas, Donnarumma seems well on his way to taking on a new goalkeeping war. Unless he asks to pack his bags. Under contract until 2026, the European champion knows that Manchester City likes him. Yesterday, the Italian press announced that Pep Guardiola’s club was following him closely because of Ederson’s announced departure to Saudi Arabia. An interest that may however be difficult to materialize since the Qataris of PSG and the Emiratis of Manchester City have still not collaborated on a transfer.
In any case, the question does not arise according to the Sports Gazette. The pink paper claims that Donnarumma is prioritizing his future at PSG, a club he greatly respects and where he feels considered one of the leaders. An extension is even being discussed with the Parisian management. Could this trend be reversed if Luis Enrique were to tease him?