This week, Corentin Tolisso had very important meetings. On Sunday, the midfielder was to lead his team to victory against Racing Club de Lens in Ligue 1. Runners-up to PSG, the Northerners wanted to finish their incredible season in style under the orders of Pierre Sage. Opposite, Les Gones played very big. Fourth, they could hope to take third place from LOSC, in the event of success against Lens and a defeat or draw for Les Dogues against Auxerre. Armband screwed on the arm for the last time of the season, Tolisso, who took on this role wonderfully, hoped to end on a good note. Holder, the French international was unfortunately unable to guide his team to victory. OL lost 4 to 0 and will have to go through the preliminary round to play the C1. Bad news for OL who hoped for better. A good one if we remember where the club started from this season. Everyone would have signed up for such a ranking.
Tolisso first as he admitted in the mixed zone. “There is the big disappointment this evening, especially with the result in Lille. We were keen to succeed. We knew something could happen there, we wanted to have a big match. Unfortunately, we had a non-match. I think they were superior to us in the duels. They were very realistic, especially in the first half. As soon as they shot, they scored. And for us, it was the opposite. In the second half, we hit the posts. We tried, but it didn’t fit. We are a little disappointed, but if we take a step back, there is still this satisfaction of being fourth tonight and having the possibility of going to the Champions League by playing these preliminary rounds. It’s a bit vague what I’m going to say, but if we had been told that at the start of the season, we would have signed. It is the hope that we gave to our supporters, that we had, that weighs today. I think we deserve this fourth place and we will do everything to get this Champions League.”
A great season for OL and its captain
He continues: “this is the story of our season: we will have to fight until the end. There will be these two preliminary rounds in August to qualify for the Champions League. Tonight (yesterday), there was a lack of aggression, especially in the first half, we lacked that. Everything was successful for them, nothing for us. Maybe they deserved it more than us. We hit the bar, a chance, a goal… they were very strong at that level. It’s sad to end like that in front of our public against Lens, who put in a reshuffled team. We will have to move on, recover well and start again for next year.” The Frenchman under contract until June 2027, who told the supporters after the match that he was proud of them, also confirmed it in the mixed zone: he will still be Lyonnais in 2026-27. He also made a promise to Rhone fans. “I told them that we would be ready at the beginning of August to put Olympique Lyonnais back in the Champions League. »
In addition to this setback against Lens, Tolisso also had to endure another disappointment this week with his absence from the 2026 World Cup. However, the midfielder, author of 15 goals and 6 assists in 39 appearances in all competitions this season, had put all the chances on his side by having a great year. This was not enough for Didier Deschamps and his staff, who did without his services. A disappointment for the native of Tarare, who spoke on Instagram Thursday evening. “I’m not used to expressing myself like that, but given all the support and all the messages received, I wanted to say a huge THANK YOU. Disappointed, for sure, because I had given myself the means to achieve this goal which was to go to the World Cup, but that’s life, that’s how it is. Count on me to do even more and never give up. Strength to the French team. » In the mixed zone this Sunday, he returned to the subject at our microphone.
A disappointment for the Blues and the World Cup
“In March, I had a disappointment (he was not called up for the Blues meeting; editor’s note) and we were eliminated from the Europa League. There, there is another disappointment and we lose today (…) I gave the best of myself. Today, on a personal level, I had the best season of my career, especially from a statistical point of view. Didier Deschamps said what he had to say, he spoke of 5 indisputable backgrounds. I gave everything. I have zero regrets. I have nothing to reproach myself for. I am proud of what I did and what I put in place. It’s life, it’s football. As I was able to say on social networks, believe me, I will not give up. I will do even more to maybe be called one day or not. I will give everything.” A nice response to DD, who rightly explained that he is not closing the door on anyone until the start of the tournament.
“For Coco (Tolisso), it’s different, he has experience, he has already known. This must be considered in relation to the 5 players in the middle. I follow my logic. But all these players must be ready, there is a pre-list, the real list will be official on June 1 at 6 p.m..” If a little hope remains, Tolisso is not currently traveling to Boston, where the Blues will take up residence. Does he intend to be ready despite everything? “You never know what can happen in football. There is always this little hope, but I’m not lying to you, I prepared my vacation (smile). I’m going to do it like this. In any case, I wish them good luck and I hope they do great things.” A fine player, Corentin Tolisso is preparing to live a summer in the shoes of a Blues supporter, even if he would have hoped for better.