The least we can say is that Roberto de Zerbi had things to express. After several days of intense controversy following defeat in Monaco and the methods used to try to shake off his group, the coach of Olympique de Marseille appeared in front of the media this Friday with cold anger and a manifest will to “Speak clearly”. Obviously very affected by the way in which it was portrayed, the Italian delivered a muscular development, not hesitating to express his indignation and to defend beak and nail his work and his integrity at the head of the Marseille club.
The highlight of this press conference was undoubtedly its epidermal reaction to its recent media image. “I was sold like a criminal, it is not the case,” he said, visibly injured. “Since July 6 and until today, I have given everything for this jersey and for this club. I have always been professional. »» If he admits to having
“Sometimes making mistakes”he insists:
“It annoys me when things that are not true come out in the newspapers. I do things in good faith, I just want to help the club (…) I give everything. »» A passionate defense in the face of what he considers to be an unfair intention.
“I give everything for this club!” “: De Zerbi defends his honor
De Zerbi did not elude the current bad pass (5 defeats on 7 games). For him, the main problem remains the “Mentality”a concern
“Who has probably not been resolved” And who would explain the ” such differences between first and second half-time ”. It is to try to solve this problem that he assumes his sometimes hard methods:
“Sometimes you have to be hard with the players. Sometimes we must congratulate them, kiss them … “ He recalled that he had already suspended training before Toulouse to
“Increase the tension”, Rskeletoning that
“Sometimes it works. Sometimes we have more harm. »» He concludes: ” Something is missing, there are no other explanations, »While ensuring that “Everyone is 200%engaged. »»
De Zerbi, an injured but combative coach before Montpellier
Asked about possible tactical changes, from Zerbi swept the idea that the solution would be there. “It is the brain and the heart that make things change, not tactics,” he said. “When you have your head and heart, you can change everything and get results. Without that, the tactical aspect does not count. »» The message is clear: he awaits a reaction of pride and total engagement of his players on the field against Montpellier, and not ” of blah-blah ”. Regarding the forces involved, he said that Luiz Felipe was not “Not ready”
To start, but hopes for Balerdi's return “Next week”.
Ultimately, Roberto de Zerbi presented himself as a coach injured by personal attacks but absolutely not resigned. He defended his honor, assumed his methods and called his players to an immediate reaction based on envy and heart. While recognizing the difficulties and mental fragility of his team, he remains combative and focused on the objective: the five potential victories remaining to hang the Champions League. The reception of Montpellier on Saturday evening will be a first crucial test to see if his message has been heard.