Girondins de Bordeaux, the incredible denial


By: Manu Tournoux

Gérard Lopez, the president-owner of the Girondins de Bordeaux, refutes the information according to which he is willing to sell the club.

Stuck in fifteenth place in the Ligue 2 championship, the Girondins de Bordeaux were eliminated by Nice from the Coupe de France on Saturday at the round of 16 stage. According to South WestGérard Lopez would now be open to the idea of ​​a sale of the club to the scapular.

The day after the publication of this information, the Spanish-Luxembourgish businessman issued a press release to deny it. “Discussions are underway with several potential investors around the project of selling a stake in the club, with the aim of providing new means to continue the Girondins recovery project”we can read on the website of the Aquitaine club.

“As part of these discussions, the possibility of a sale of a 60% share of the club’s capital was raised, with Gérard Lopez remaining a 40% shareholder and manager of the club, without this scenario being favored. Gérard Lopez had received an offer to buy back 100% of the capital” last summer, but he refused it. “The scenario of taking a minority stake is the preferred scenario and under no circumstances will Gérard Lopez abandon the club”, concludes the press release. In June 2021, the latter began a procedure to purchase the club, when it was on the verge of filing for bankruptcy.

Leave a Comment