Russian Edges Closer to Monaco Takeover

December 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev looks set to become AS Monaco’s new shareholder before the end of the year. With a bid of €93million already accepted, the offer has been put in front of French football’s financial watchdog the DNCG and current President Etienne Franzi believes a deal is close.

Speaking to Nice Matin he claimed: “Things are not quite finalised, but are moving along very well. What I can say is that before the end of the year there will be a new majority shareholder at ASM; Mr. Rybolovlev and his group.”

American magazine Forbes estimates his fortune to be worth approximately €93billion with the magnate apparently willing to invest €200million into the club who are in dire need of revitalisation.

Rybolovlev who made his fortune producing fertiliser products and is reported to be the 14th richest man in Russia has already met Prince Albert to discuss his plans for the club.

In addition to the Russian’s arrival it is reported that former player Youri Djorkaeff will become the Sporting Director of the Principality club, and it has also emerged that he could be joined by another former Monégasque, the Argentine Marcelo Gallardo.  He is in line to replace Marco Simone as manager, claims L’Equipe.

************************

Lyon have announced that former manager Claude Puel has made an unsuccessful claim for nearly €5million in compensation following his summer dismissal.

Puel was relieved of his position in June, a year before his contract was officially due to expire.

Having felt that agreement was broken he tried to claim for compensation.

Puel’s lawyers had been asking for €3.3million in lost earnings and €1.66million in damages but it seems the most damange to Puel’s credibility has been provided by himself in this latest action.

The case has been rejected by an industrial tribunal and the former Lyon manager has 15 days to appeal the decision.

In a statement on the club’s official website the club said: “This decision confirms the validity of Lyon’s position.”

Puel was replaced by Rémi Garde after failing to land any silverware during his three year tenure as Lyon boss.

************************

In more Monégasque-related news, former Monaco striker David Trezeguet looks set to return to Argentina to join River Plate weeks after his contract with United Arab Emirate outfit Bani Yas was mutually terminated.

Trezeguet, a French World Cup winner in 1998 and European Championship winner two years later rose to fame with Monaco winning Ligue 1 twice with the Principality outfit and scoring 52 goals in 93 matches. Following his success at Monaco he became one of Europe’s most coveted strikers in a ten-year spell with Juventus in Italy before enjoying a brief stint with Hercules in Spain.

Speaking on Argentine radio Trezeguet’s agent Sergio Fortunato said: “there is a large chance that he will go to River Plate.”

“He wants to play in the Argentinian championship and he is a River Plate fan.”

River currently play their football in Argentina’s second tier following their relegation last season. Trezeguet started his career with River’s youth academy before signing for Monaco in 1995.

************************

Former Sochaux, Tottenham and Inter Milan playmaker Stéphane Dalmat looks set to leave Rennes after being left out of Frédéric Antonetti’s squad to face Atletico Madrid in the dead rubber of a final Europa League group encounter.

The 32-year old is understood to be frustrated with his current situation with time running out on what has been a largely unfulfilled career.

Manager Antonetti did not hide that much either when quizzed of the midfielder’s absence and current situation prior to the match.

He said: “Would it be good for him to leave for a new challenge? We have asked him this question and he is asking us the same question.”

“He is in a difficult situation. He is a good player and he has shown that at times, but we have not enjoyed success together.”

“He is partly responsible for that, but not alone.”

************************

Finally, after drawing Marseille in the round of 32 for the Coupe de France, Red Star Football Club 93 of Paris aim to obtain the use of Stade de France for the game on either 7th or 8th January. “This game will be a celebration for everyone in the Seine-Saint-Denis area”, claims club President Patrice Haddad.  Speaking to L’Equipe he would like to rent 45,000 seats at “a reasonable price” for Red Star’s biggest game in recent history.

An alternative would be Stade Dominique-Duchauvelle of Créteil (Val-de-Marne, south of Paris).  This option would be preferred by the ministry of the Interior who worry that Marseille and Paris Saint-Germain fans would see it as an opportunity to clash and make up for the lack of recent meetings due to previous fan trouble.

************************

Leave a reply

required

required

optional